So I know some thought this day would never come, and to be honest, I’ve had my doubts as well… But on wednesdayay afternoon, I made the leap, and pushed live both an updated website, and the long overdue Lovely Charts Desktop Edition, AKA V2.
And you know what? Of course I’m happy, proud, anxious etc but overall the feeling that prevails is relief :).
If you’d rather not read, just click here and watch the video, it does its job quite well, me thinks^^.
Anyway, what’s in this new version? Tons, probably too much to list without boring everyone.
To summarize, I like to think about this release as the grown-up version of V1 (which btw still powers the online app).
I’ve always said my core intention with Lovely Charts was to make it easy for people to communicate visually, with diagrams that look good even if you don’t have the slightest design skill… So, how does this translate in new features?
- Automatic layouts. Need an org.chart, or a sitemap, with all items properly, pixel-perfectly aligned? One-click of a button
- Import from text files. You’d rather draft out the structure in a text file first, THEN worry about drawing a sitemap? Easy.
- Iconfinder integration. Need some fancy icon but you don’t know where to find one? Simply hit Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + F, and instantly access a repository of over 185,000 great looking icons, ready to grab and insert in your own diagrams.
- Pick your own fonts.
- Enhanced connections: now pixel-perfect, and controllable via, well, control points.
- Drawing guides. Align and regularly space symbols without thinking about it. It just snaps.
- Import images AND vector symbols
- Create & Share your own libraries. More on this in an upcoming blog post
I could go on for hours, but I think the video, and above all the FREE demo, both do a way better job at giving you a sense of what’s in this new version, so please do me a favor, go ahead and try it out!